Beer and Pavement

A Daughter’s Request

Posted in Life, Records by SM on July 19, 2012

Studying Wild Flag.

Most of Sunday, my daughter and I spent our time together watching YouTube videos of Riot Grrrl bands and listening to Wild Flag. Of course, there were several renditions of “Call Me Maybe” in between, but the day belonged to rock. This sudden interest into Daddy’s music was spurred on by a couple of screenings of School of Rock, a film where Jack Black pretends to be a substitute teacher at a prestigious elementary school where he discovers his students to be gifted musicians he convinces to play in his band. Thanks to this one film, the grrrl is all about the rock music right now.

The obsession has continued through the week as every evening is filled with more YouTube videos and bedtime is dominated with Daddy sharing his exploits as a live music fanatic of the last 20 years. She is particularly fond of videos in which Kathleen Hanna pogoes. Her requests for more stories has me searching the recesses of my brain for G-rated rock show tales. It’s an interesting time to be Lucia’s father.

What it all has led to is a request from my daughter to see her first rock show. Apparently, seeing Dubb Nubb several times has not fulfilled her need to rock. I am now faced with finding the right situation where I can make this dream come true.

I was a late bloomer. My first rock show didn’t happen until I was 18. We lived an hour from any city featuring rock concerts and even then I wasn’t interested in the hair metal and country most of my classmates were going to see. Then, one St. Patrick’s Day, my brother and two or three other guys drove the hour to the Newport Music Hall in Columbus to see my first rock show: Soul Asylum with Vic Chestnutt and The Goo Goo Dolls (when they were punk-ish). From that night on, I was hooked. I can understand my daughter’s longing to see music performed live.

As a parent, I have to set some boundaries for the kind of show she can attend. I mean, she’s not yet four (9/11) and this puts some serious limits on what she can and can’t see. for example, she will not catch The Melvins for her first live rock experience, even if it is on a Friday night. I’m considering some basic criteria for this event, criteria that may put off her first concert experience for another year, but that’s okay. There’s plenty of time to rock.

The show will need to be outdoors, mainly for two reasons: not all shows are all-ages and the noise factor. It’s one thing to get your 16-year-old into a bar to see a band; it’s a completely different thing to sneak in a four-year-old. Besides, I’m not sure that’s the best environment for someone so young. The outdoors provide space for people to spread out and avoid awkward situations around small children and vice versa. Plus, sound doesn’t seem to do as much damage when it can harmlessly float to space and not bounce off the walls. My hearing is shit and there’s no need to put my kid through that before she attends elementary school.

Bedtime is an issue. I’ll have to find a show on a weekend or one that takes place earlier in the day. The trouble with this is that most of the outside shows here in Columbia are on weeknights. That makes for a rough morning getting her to preschool. An all-day even is the next logical step, but we’ve missed out on most of the festivals for the summer or at least their bargain pre-fest prices.

Finally, the band or bands to see have to be worthy. Although it is not for me to say which bands or musicians you should like, I do have a right as a parent to steer her toward whatever music I feel is acceptable. Of course there will be a time when my opinion won’t count, but until then, I control the stereo in my house and I have the credit card.

So, this adventure may have to wait a year. Next summer she’ll see her first rock show. I just hope I can deliver Kathleen Hanna or Wild Flag.

Advertisements

21 Responses

1. Abby said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:41 am

Cool!
    Have you seen The Other F Word? http://www.theotherfwordmovie.com/
    Maybe I’ve asked you about it before. I’d love to read your review of the movie.
    Perhaps you could bring L to 80/35 next year. http://80-35.com/lineup/2012/

• Zac said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:43 am

I have not, but I am aware of it. Maybe we should… I’m considering typical summer festival options like STL’s LouFest, P4K, Lollapalooza, etc.

2. Alex said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:57 am

School of Rock is definitely on the must-watch list for my future kid. It’s so cool that your daughter is taking an interest in your obsession. When will she start brewing?

• Zac said, on July 19, 2012 at 10:06 am

Funny you should ask that. She asks me every time I brew to help. I’m a little concerned with cleanliness as she picks her nose, but she will become my assistant in the near future. so far, I’ve started explaining the process while I brew, allowing her to smell and taste as we go. She really likes the wort before I add the yeast.

• Alex said, on July 19, 2012 at 10:09 am

Maybe she can pitch in when you decide to brew a booger-barrel stout. 😉

3. ZB said, on July 19, 2012 at 10:13 am

Ryan C. was saying something about how people under 10 get into P4k for free? I have no idea if it was a joke, but it’s something to think about. Every year I consider buying my niece a 1/4 scale electric guitar, but when we stored our gear at my mom’s house and she was there, she was more interested in Logan’s drumset and talking into a delay-drenched microphone. She’ll be 5 come Christmas time, and I wonder if now is maybe the time she’d be old enough to actually take lessons for one of those things.

• Zac said, on July 19, 2012 at 10:16 am

Noted. Maybe we’ll make a trip to Chicago next summer.

We have to stay in touch for the next decade so they can form a band together.

4. Jade E. said, on July 19, 2012 at 11:44 am

I was going to suggest Lucinda Williams, which is outdoors and probably pretty mellow, but then I saw the tickets are $28. Kind of steep for two!

• Zac said, on July 19, 2012 at 11:45 am

And kind of a letdown after all the riot grrrl action she’s seen on YouTube.

5. quilty said, on July 24, 2012 at 3:04 pm

love this post. I was gonna say Of Montreal until I remembered all the R-rated stage antics last time I saw them. Still, something goofy and poppy and bright and theatrical might be a good route. Elephant 6ish… The Music Tapes?

• Zac said, on July 24, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Yeah, have to watch the theatrics at those shows. I considered the Flaming Lips, but they have some similar issues with imagery. That and they’re playing a Sunday. No school nights!

6. Barb said, on July 25, 2012 at 8:21 am

What about the Wilco show coming up in September? I think it’s on a Sunday. I would assume you could ask about her getting in for free because the chances of you staying the whole time are not very likely. Plus, she’s small!

• Zac said, on July 25, 2012 at 8:22 am

Yes, I should do that. I know Pete and maybe he could help me out.

7. G-LO said, on July 25, 2012 at 12:45 pm

My son is also loving his rock and roll (he’ll be eight in September), and School of Rock was a definite influence. RIght now he likes The Arctic Monkeys, The White Stripes, The Black Keys, and occasionally Spoon. We also have some old stuff on every so often, i.e. Led Zep, The Rolling Stones, Queen etc.. My wife has taken him to a concert or two and he definitely loves going. My only complaints are the occasional obscenities that will pop in a random song. I have no problem with foul language and I embrace it wholeheartedly under the right circumstances (I’m a Sicilian from South Philly with a limited vocabulary. What do you expect?), but does it really have a place in a song? I guess it’s my job to let him know when and where he can use certain words. Thankfully he likes to remind us that he KNOWS all the “curse” words, but knows best not to say them around us.

• Zac said, on July 25, 2012 at 12:53 pm

That’s exactly how I plan to handle foul language when it comes up. The thing is that it definitely has a place in art and music. The trick is getting our kids to understand that there is a time for all sorts of sentiments. Sounds like your 8-yo has it all figured out.

• G-LO said, on July 25, 2012 at 10:53 pm

I agree. There’s a time and a place for everything, especially all that potty language. My son is definitely learning the rules. Not saying that he always follows them, but at least I’m there to try to nip any nonsense in the bud. Never good to let too much slide. They may be young, but they learn quickly how to take advantage of a situation.

• Zac said, on July 26, 2012 at 7:38 am

For reals, G-LO.

8. Carrie the Destroyer said, on July 27, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Take her to see Built to Spill on August 26! Fuck bedtime. My buddy is opening for them (Helvetia), and he just had a daughter. When we were chilling in California last week there were a ton of kids around totally digging it. Get her a pair of gun muffles to wear over her ears and it’ll all be good. If you go, tell Jason I say hi. He’s a one of the best people I’ve ever met.

• Zac said, on August 1, 2012 at 7:55 am

It’s looking like Wilco. Hopefully, they’ll play more of their avant garde stuff and less alt.country.

• Abby said, on August 2, 2012 at 6:48 am

NPR recorded/broadcast their Newport show from a week ago if you want to get a sense of a recent set. I saw that it’s available for listening via the NPR Music app, but I haven’t listened to it yet.

Wilco was our fetus’s first concert, which is probably too much information…

• Zac said, on August 4, 2012 at 11:26 am

Cool. I will check it out.